How Do I Keep my Garage Secure?
You check the locks on all your doors and windows, and install security systems to keep your home safe while you’re away. However, you may be forgetting to secure one important part of your home – your garage. Many homeowners overlook their garages when it comes to safety, but that is one of the easiest places intruders can enter through. These are the best ways to secure your garage and keep your home and family safe.
- Secure the Emergency Releases: By law, automatic garage door openers have emergency releases, usually a pull rope with a red handle. What most homeowners fail to realize is that this release can be easily unlocked from the outside with a coat hanger. Secure the emergency release with a zip tie to increase your garage’s security.
- Cover the Garage Windows: If your garage has windows in either the walls or door, intruders can scope out your home and identify valuables or easy entrances to your home itself. Cover your windows with one-way film or cover them completely to eliminate the threat of illegal entry.
- Lock All Pedestrian Doors: Make sure to lock any and all doors that provide entry into your home, including those connected to your garage. Installing a double-keyed deadbolt lock is the best way to keep the doors shut to anyone without a key. Additionally, do not leave spare keys hidden in obvious places. If you must leave a hidden key, place it in an inconspicuous spot several feet away from the door.
- Hold onto Your Remote Openers: Garage Doors with remote controls are especially vulnerable to intruders since many people leave their remote in their cars. If possible, opt for a remote that is small enough to be kept on your keys. If you cannot get one that small, carry the remote with you so it isn’t at risk of being stolen and used to break into your home at a later time.
- Never Leave Your Garage Door Open: If you want to avoid someone stealing any valuables from your garage or home, don’t leave your garage door open when you’re not physically there to watch the surroundings. Even if you’re just running inside for a quick lunch or taking a short trip to the store, close and lock your garage door so no one has access to your home.
Another good way of securing your garage is making sure your garage door is in good condition. Dents or cracks in the door or weather stripping can make it easier for intruders to enter your home. The Garage Door Center offers garage door repairs for your home in the Fairfield, CT area. Call us at 203-255-3033 for more information about repairs for your garage door.
Posted by Garage Door Center