Garage Safety Tips
Each year, there are 6,600 garage fires in homes across the U.S. These fires, according to FEMA, cause $457 million in property loss, and injure 400 people. No one wants to be the victim of a fire, so follow these garage safety tips to protect you and your home.
- Connect your garage to the inside of your home with a 20-minute fire-rated door that is self-closing and self-latching.
- If a garage wall is attached to your house, install a half-inch Type X gypsum board, or an equivalent, on that wall. This will slow the fire from spreading to your home.
- If you have access to your attic from your garage, install an attic hatch to block fires.
- Always have a heat detector in your garage so you are alerted of any fires.
- Store materials that can catch fire away from your home.
- Use safety locks and guards when storing products on shelves or in cabinets to prevent items from tipping or falling.
- Store materials that can cause a fire out of the sunlight and away from open heat and flames.
- Do not fill gasoline containers indoors, and only store them in well-ventilated locations.
- Plug in only one charging appliance at a time.
- Do not use an extension cord when charging appliances – plug them directly into an outlet.
- If you see or experience any faulty wiring, call an electrician to fix it. (Most garage fires are caused by electrical problems.)
- Keep appliances away from any materials that can burn.
- Throw out products according to the label instructions. Do not keep them longer than advised.
- Don’t throw an aerosol can into the trash, as it may contain chemicals that can burn and start a fire.
- If you have a spill, clean the area and place the container in a well-ventilated space.
- If you find that a spill cannot be contained or you are not sure how to handle the cleanup or disposal of the product, call your local fire department for help.
At Garage Door Center, we recognize that the best way to enjoy your garage is by being safe. The last thing anyone wants is to turn their garage into a man-cave or install one of our custom garage doors, only to have a fire put it all in jeopardy. Follow these garage safety tips to ensure you, your family, and your home are protected.
Have your home stand out with a custom garage door from Garage Door Center. Call 203-255-3033 today, and schedule an appointment to meet with us at our Fairfield showroom!
Posted by Garage Door Center